As the weather gets warmer, you may find yourself dreaming of a new pool. Pools are a great source of entertainment and exercise. Before you get started with construction, there are some decisions you need to make and basic information about pool construction that you need to know.
Choose Your Type of Pool
Now that you have decided to build your pool, consider some of the following:
- What shape of pool do you want? There are many to choose from. Your choice may depend on the space you have available.
- What type of materials do you want to use? The interior of your pool, the part that is visible, may be vinyl, plaster, fiberglass, tile, pebble, quartz, or other material. At Pool Boy Services, we specialize in in-ground vinyl pools and assist as you decide one will work best for you.
- Do you want any extra features? A diving board? A sundeck? A waterfall? Benches inside the pool? A safety-cover? Additional concrete patio area?
- Is the elevation of your pool site flat? If not, you may need to have retaining walls built or extra construction preparation.
- What about other backyard components to complement your pool? Perhaps a backyard kitchen or barbecue? This is a time when many people choose to add a patio to their backyard.
- What type of decking do you want to include, and do you want to change the landscaping at the same time as building the pool?
- The law requires you to have your pool fenced with special latches. You may also need to have alarms installed on your doorway that accesses the pool from your home.
If you have budget constraints, you can still start with your basic pool with a design for adding the extras down the road.
The Next Steps
Once you have made these decisions, we will need to get permits, which may take up to three weeks or more. We will need to do a site analysis to determine whether we need to do any extra excavation.
Materials need to be ordered and we need to secure time in our schedule to build your pool. We need to allow for rainy weather that may affect the timing. Generally, pool construction can take several weeks.
Contact us at Pool Boy Services for More Information
For more information about getting started on your backyard pool, contact us at Pool Boy Services to schedule a consultation. We serve the greater Harrisburg area. Call (717) 376-8960. Our staff has been building, servicing, restoring, and maintaining pools for our customers in Central Pennsylvania for more than 30 years.